Thursday 18 December 2014

2014 In Retrospect

I've been lax in posting to my blog and even missed an entire month (no activity in November - shame on me). Life does get in the way, especially this time of year and adding my son's 18th birthday and the conclusion of my daughters first and most turbulent year of high school to the mix, makes for busy times indeed.

It has been one hell of a year.


2014 has been the most creative year for me in decades. It has been the most trying, the most difficult, the most eye-opening, the most uncertain AND the most rewarding year I've had in a long, long time. I am a creative person, whether it be illustration, painting, motion graphics, photography, music or tangible items that can be felt, seen and experienced - I like to create new things. Even if it's only new to me.

I have spent over a decade being creative for other people, by proxy as a graphic designer for agency's, printers and signage providers. Even though, I do take professional pride in the work and find a sense of fulfillment in the doing design work, it doesn't ignite my creative muse as much as art and music. It always comes down to those two for me.
Music is always the answer.
What is the question I hear you ask?
The question is life?
Music is always the answer to life.
And art? Art explains to us what life is.

...

2014 in retrospect, if measured in terms of creative output, it looks a little like this;
  • I have created more artwork this last year, than I have in the combined 12 years prior.
  • I presented a portfolio of my work to US publisher, IDW and received positive feedback (I'm still working on getting my work published through IDW - just looking for the right fit for both of us).
  • A fan of my work requested a private commission. This is the first time I have ever been commissioned to produce artwork. This came at a very crucial time, as I was starting to doubt my skills and this request validated my work as an artist for which I am humble and appreciative.
  • Sales of my art prints increase at every show I attend.
  • I have generated leads in producing custom displays backgrounds for action figures and statues (more on this in the new year).
  • I have had more music jams with bands and other musicians these last 2 years than I have in my entire life.
It's been a busy year. Lots of late nights, lots of rewarding work, lots of experimenting and being surprised at how the final art turns out, enjoying new mediums and trying out new techniques.

Here's a loose overview of what I have planned for the next year;
  • I have an album or two worth of (new) songs waiting to be recorded / mixed.
  • I have expressed interest in showing my work in a Gallery next year.
  • Continued work on artwork designs (Donnie Darko, Zatanna, Captain Cold, Birds of Prey, Daredevil and Batman Villains are next on the list).
  • Continued work on the serialised graphic story RUST.
  • Continued work on my original graphic novel SUBSTANCE.
  • A small art/sketch book for sale at shows
  • Artist alley presence at Supanova June next year.

As one of my favourite artists, David Mack, said "do the work first - the rest will come later".

To all that follow my blog, thanks for reading. I wish you all a safe and happy holiday season. May 2015 bring you all good health, good living and prosperity. I leave you with an overview of art I produced during 2014. I hope you dig it. Next week's blog post will be my favourite comics, graphic novels and art books for 2014.































...

Best wishes
Damian K. Sheiles



No comments:

Post a Comment